This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.
 

All patients welcome

BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE

PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP MEETING

Wednesday 31st May 2017 7.30pm

AGENDA

  1. Introduction and Welcome
  2.  
  3. APOLOGIES - Helen Smith,
  4.  
  5. Rules and Previous Minutes
  6.  
  7. PPG Group Meeting feedback
  8.  
  9. Nurse Shortage and services
  10.  
  11. Complaints report discussion

  12. Newsletter

 

  1. AOB

**************************

Patient Participation Meeting

7.30pm Wedn. 22 February 17

Starts with a talk on 'Mindfulness in Every Day use'

Everybody welcome

***********************

Unfortunately the PPG Meeting for

Wednesday, 30 November 16

has been cancelled as too many participants are unavailable

Next Meeting

7.30pm Wednesday, 25 January 17

*******************************

The Group meets on the last Wednesday of every month (except August and December)

7.30pm in the Practice Waiting Room

(Tea and coffee available)

*****************************

BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE

PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP MEETING

Wednesday 29TH June 2016 7.30pm

 

AGENDA

  • Introduction and Welcome

    1.  
  • APOLOGIES - Helen Smith

  • Rules and Previous Minutes

  • Newsletter status         Current articles:         Online Access of Patient Notes             Dementia Support             Healthier together

  • GP survey from CCG

  • AOB

********************************

BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE

PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP MEETING

Wednesday 27th May 15, 7.30pm

AGENDA

  1. INTRODUCTION AND WELCOME

  1. APOLOGIES - Helen Smith, Linda Estruch, Adrian Brown

  1. RULES & PREVIOUS MINUTES
  2. PPG Planning meeting update

  1. NEWSLETTER current status

  1. The New Prescription Service - Is it Working?
  2. AOB

************************************

MEETING OF THE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP

HELD AT BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE

WEDNESDAY 25th February 2015

Present:

                        David Doig                -           Practice Manager

                     Dr Phillips                -         GP

                        Linda Estruch           -           Committee Member

                        Alan Masters            -           Committee Member

                        Sandra Masters         -         Committee Member

                        Yvonne Booth         -           Committee Member

                        Jane McGrother     -         Committee Member

Carl Neblett               -           Committee Member

Tony Risly                 -           Committee Member          

Apologies:    Adrian, Tricia, Trish

The Meeting was opened at 7.30. No new members.

Minutes from the previous meeting were read and agreed.

MATTERS ARISING

Retirement – Dr Hartley will retire from the practice on 31st March 2015. It was agreed to send him a Happy Retirement card and our best wishes and thanks.

Update on the way forward. – Nurse Linda Mellor has been appointed to undertake initial assessment of urgent patients. She will passport them on to GPs when necessary.

Nurse Helen Wren will continue to advise and if necessary, prescribe for certain conditions such as Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) and sore throats.

Nurse Dawn Thompson will assist with acute appointments and visits on Mondays and Fridays, thereby relieving the GPs of some of their workload.

Dr Maisie Garrido will join the practice as a part-time partner at the beginning of May.

These new arrangements will allow GPs more time for appointments in the hope that patients can be seen more quickly and time used more efficiently. The Practice would welcome comments on how the new system is bedding in after few months.

New Secretary – Trish is unable to continue in the role of secretary. Members were invited to offer to undertake the role. It was suggested that we should all ask friends and relatives who are patients at the practice to join the group. Perhaps a secretary would evolve!

Best wishes and good health to Trish and many thanks for all her years of secretarial contribution to the group.

Newsletter – With the pressure of work and holiday commitments, there were no articles to discuss. Items suggested for inclusion over the Spring season were, hay fever, sun awareness, travel injections, travel insurance and bites and stings.

PPG Report – The PPG report was signed off by Jane as Acting Chair.

AOB – Yvonne asked about the news item on the use of Pharmacists to give more advice and possibly treat patients. The item was acknowledged and generally it was agreed that Pharmacists can give good advice on side effects of drugs, dosage and drug interactions. Ultimately, the GP is responsible for patients’ medical care.

Next Meeting 29 April 2015 7.30pm at Buxton Medical Practice

ALL WELCOME

********************* 

BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP MEETING

 

Wednesday 25TH February 2015 7.30pm

 

AGENDA

 

  1. Introduction and Welcome

 

  1. Apologies Adrian, Tricia

 

  1. Rules

 

  1. Previous Minutes

 

  1. Articles for Newsletter

 

  1. Dr Hartley’s Retirement effect on the Practice

 

  1. PPG Report

 

********************

Next PPG Meeting

7.30pm, Wednesday 25 February 15 at Buxton Medical Practice

*****************

Next Patient Participation Group Meeting will be held at 7.30pm on Wednesday 29 October 14 at Buxton Medical Practice 

Cancelled meeting on 24/09/14

*****************

BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP MEETING

Wednesday 30th July 2014 7.30pm

 

AGENDA

1.  INTRODUCTION AND WELCOME

 

2.  APOLOGIES  (Fiona, Helen)

 

3.  RULES

 

4.  PREVIOUS MINUTES

 

5.  PROPOSAL FOR POSSIBLE CHARGES FOR APPOINTMENTS

 

6.  ALLOCATION OF GP TO PATIENTS OVER 75 YRS

 

7.  PRESCRIBING OF ANTIBIOTICS

 

8.  NEXT NEWSLETTER TOPIC

 

9.  MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE

 

*******************

BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP MEETING

Wednesday 27TH February 2014 7.30pm

 

AGENDA  

1.  INTRODUCTION AND WELCOME

 

2.  APOLOGIES  )

 

3.  RULES

 

4.  PREVIOUS MINUTES

 

5.  THE FUTURE OF PRIMARY PRACTICE

 

*************************

Next Meeting 26th February 2014 at

7.30pm, Buxton Medical Practice

***************************

Next meeting is Wed 29 January 14

Please see minutes for other meetings that have taken place

***************************

BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP MEETING

Wednesday 31st July 2013 7.30pm

 

AGENDA

 

1.   INTRODUCTION AND WELCOME

 

2.   APOLOGIES   Helen Smith,

 

3.   RULES

 

4.   PREVIOUS MINUTES

 

5.   NEW CHAIR PERSON

 

6.   NEW MEDICAL COMPUTER SYSTEM AND DISRUPTION

 

7.   NEXT NEWSLETTER CONTENTS

 

8.   ADRIAN/PAM

 

********************************

MEETING OF THE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP

HELD AT BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE

WEDNESDAY 26th June 2013

Present:         Adrian Brown              -           Chaired

                        David Doig                  -           Practice Manager

                        Dr K Phillips                -           GP

                        Trish Bothamley          -           Secretary

                        Tricia Shaw                 -           Committee Member

                        Carl Neblett                 -           Committee Member

                        Alan Masters               -           Committee Member

                        Linda Masters             -           Committee Member

                        Yvonne Booth              -           Committee Member

                        Diana Shaw                -           Committee Member

                        Fiona Innes                 -           Committee Member

                        Jane McGrother          -           Committee Member

                        Helen Mellor                -           Practice Nurse

                       

Apologies:      Helen Smith, Linda Rolland

 

The Meeting was opened at 7.30. No new members. Committee members introduced themselves.

 

Minutes from the previous meeting were read and agreed.

 

MATTERS ARISING - Adrian informed the group that he had contacted the Stewart Medical Centre and The Elmwood regarding the suggestion of merging together to promote a stall at the next Spring Fayre.  Adrian had had no reply from the Stewart Medical Centre however, Adrian and Jane will be attending the meeting at the MethodistChurch in Buxton on Friday at 1.30pm where Adrian will address the matter again and will feed back to the group at the next meeting.

 

OBESITY TALK – Helen Mellor, Practice Nurse gave a fantastic talk on obesity.  Helen explained to the group how and why people become obese.  Currently the practice has 7,706 patients registered and statistics below show that a great number of patients are overweight.

 

·          BMI 25-30 Women 1,011, Men 975

·          BMI 30 Women 575 Men 513

 

These figures do not include children and are not based on every patient at the practice.  There are several options available through the practice to help people with obesity such as Gym on prescription, Waist Wise, a 12 week programme that looks at weight, healthy eating, exercise and education on food values. There is also support and monitoring from the practice nurse if a patient is motivated to challenge their weight.

 

Helen spoke about why people are more inclined to be overweight these days with the variety of fast food, food being cheaper, sedentary jobs, more people with transport to name a few.  Too much sugar stores as fat in the body but there are ways of cutting down on sugar intake by exchanging foods with less sugar content.

 

By 2020 the government would like to see lower levels of weights in adults and children.  There will be better labeling on food and the food industry and many restaurants will become involved in helping to provide healthier options.  Big company names have agreed to reduce sugar calorific values in their drinks.

 

There has been a rise in non alcohol liver disease which can come from eating too much sugar and being over weight. The fat builds up in the liver..

 

There is an article in the next edition of the newsletter regarding obesity which is very informative.

 

NEWSLETTER – Jane sent draft copies of the next newsletter for our perusal and this was discussed at the meeting.  Again it was full of interesting information and the group agreed it was ready for publication. Jane questioned whether or not we needed to cut down on how many newsletters were printed.  Patients tend to read them in the surgery but not take them home.  It was decided not to print as many this edition.  David has offered to find something to house the newsletters so that they can go on the coffee table in the middle of the surgery with a sign asking patients to take one.

 

Jane asked if maybe we could do an article on self referrals in the next edition. She wanted to know how self referrals are monitored, what they cost etc and how much DNA’s cost.  David said he would find out and that it could be included in a future edition of the newsletter.

 

TOOTSIES FOOTCARE – Fiona brought information along to the meeting regarding foot care for the over 50s.  This is run by Jennifer Akans and is funded by the NHS, Age UK and Future Home Scape.  At the moment there is nowhere in Buxton offering this service which is for anyone over 50 excluding diabetics and anyone taking Warfarin.  The initial consultation is £17 which includes a foot care pack that is used on each attendance.  The fee following the initial consultation is £12. Hopefully this will eventually come to Buxton if suitable premises can be sought and it is envisaged that it could be more of a social occasion where people can come along and have their feet looked after in comfortable and friendly surroundings.  Fiona is to attend a meeting in Bakewell shortly and will feed back to us.

 

SURVEYS -  David asked if we were happy with the current situation with regards to the practice survey or whether we thought that we would be able to provide one from the PPG which was more focused on certain areas that could improve the patient experience. Maybe we could look at waiting times and do a mini survey around that.  Following discussion it was felt that it would be better use the NHS survey as the full survey, rather than duplicate it with another inhouse one.  David has already sent out statistics on last year’s survey maybe we could look at it and discuss it at the next meeting. These are on the website. These could inform any future PPG surveys.

 

AOB – It appears that the PPG has done quite a bit over the last year and maybe we could reflect and review at the next meeting.

 

It was discussed that we could include a “Health Issue” in each newsletter and have a representative to come along to the meeting and talk about it.  This would be a good way of patients gaining knowledge and information about certain health issues. It would also be a good way of getting more patients involved in the PPG meetings.

 

Fiona will be attending the CCG Meeting in Bakewell on 16th July 2013 and will feed back to us at the next meeting.

 

**********************

BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP MEETING

Wednesday 24th 2013 7.30pm

 

AGENDA

 

1.  INTRODUCTION AND WELCOME

 

2.  APOLOGIES  (Diana Twigg, Helen Smith)

 

3.  RULES

 

4.  PREVIOUS MINUTES

 

5.  NEWSLETTER ( SUMMER EDITION)

 

*************************

Please find all future Minutes on the PPG Minutes page above

***************************

BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP MEETING

Wednesday 30th January 2013 7.30pm

 

AGENDA

 

1.    INTRODUCTION AND WELCOME

 

2.    APOLOGIES  Helen Smith, Adrian Brown, Tricia Shaw

 

3.    RULES

 

4.    PREVIOUS MINUTES

 

5.    UPDATE ON PROGRESS OF CCG & THE  IMPACT ON THE PRACTICE (FI)

 

6.    NEWSLETTER NEXT EDITION (TS)

 

7.    FUNDING FOR NEWSLETTER PRINTING (JM)

 

8.    CORRESPONDENCE FROM EAST CHESHIRE NHS (OUR PRACTICE VIEWS ON THIS) (AM)

 

**************************

Minutes now on the seperate PPG Minutes page

*************************

Next Meeting 7.30pm Wednesday 29th August 12 at Buxton Medical Practice

-----------------------------

MEETING OF THE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP

HELD AT BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE

WEDNESDAY 25th July 2012

Present:         Adrian Brown              -           Chairman

                        Trish Bothamley          -           Secretary

                        David Doig                  -           Practice Manager

Dr Miller                       -           GP

                        Fiona Innes                 -           Committee Member

                        Alan Masters               -           Committee Member

                        Sandra Masters          -           Committee member

                        Tricia Shaw                 -           Committee Member

                        Carl Neblett                 -           Committee Member

                        Mike Gray                    -           Committee Member

                        Diana Twigg                -           Committee Member

                        Yvonne Booth              -           Committee Member

 

Apologies: Helen Smith, Jane McGrowther, Linda Rolland

 

The Meeting was opened at 7.30. No new members.

 

The last meeting minutes were read and agreed.

 

Matters Arising

 

Please note correction to the e-mail address included in the last minutes which should have read ppgbuxton@yahoo.co.uk sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused

 

Alan apologised for not attending the PPG meeting in June.

 

David informed us the electronic stapler has arrived.

 

Newsletter Autumn Issue

 

Tricia shared with us the draft issue of the Autumn newsletter, which was very informative and well presented again.  It was agreed that it should go out in September to coincide with Flu Vaccine time. David will provide the information to be included in the newsletter regarding the vaccine although an item may have to be omitted to incorporate this. It was questioned whether or not online booking would be available for the vaccine however, it was felt that this may not be appropriate as the vaccine is only offered to high risk patients.

 

The group felt that 1000 copies was adequate for the next issue of the newsletter although it was suggested that the Library, University of Derby, Sure Start and Buxton Health Centre may be other areas that the newsletter could be distributed from.  Adrian is to enquire at the University and David will make enquiries at the other locations.  David will also contact the pharmacies to see how well the newsletter has been received.

 

David had received one comment this month from a patient regarding access to the building for disabled/wheelchair users.  This has been commented on before in the past via the patient questionnaire and David has looked into this and is currently in the process of getting quotes for the work which have to be in for 17th August.

 

NOTICE BOARDS

 

Questions were raised as to whether the notice boards were attracting any attention.  A splash of colour and larger lettering would, maybe, be more appealing and eye catching.  Linda has produced some large signs for our notice boards and put them up. (thank you Linda).

 

Productive General Practice

 

Alan attended the 1st PGP meeting in June as the PPG representative he shared with us that he thought the video shown was somewhat obscure! Alan also thought that staff would be working harder.  David explained that the group would be made up of one member of staff from each area however, at the moment things were a bit slow due to David still having some work to do and staff annual leave.  It is envisaged that meetings will be weekly and last for about half an hour.  E-mails would be sent out to the PPG and whoever answered first could attend the meeting on behalf of our group. (please see list below as a reminder of what the group is about)

 

Modules include:

 

·         Knowing how we are doing/collecting information

·         Involving patients in the improvement

·         Planning and scheduling

·         Back Office  - scanning in information letters, results etc meeting deadlines

·         Front of House – reception/waiting room

·         Consultation – Finding appropriate ways to get patients seen in the given time

·         Prescriptions – processing

·         Referrals –referring on to secondary care/appropriate service

·         How we do things/how patients think we do things

·         Improving today’s practice and looking at doing things better

   

AOB

 

Reception Area

 

Adrian said one or two patients had commented about lack of privacy at the reception area when he was handing out the patient questionnaires. David said that he was aware of this and that he had been looking at ways to try and change the reception area to accommodate privacy.

 

The patient check-in in the porch should be up and running again very shortly.  However, patients’ do have the choice whether to use it or to check in at reception.

 

The Power Point Presentation is now up and running in the reception area and is very informative.  It was agreed that maybe the slides could be made bigger as this could only be read if sitting quite near.  Carl & Tricia are going to have a look at this and see if they can change anything.  

   

 

Date of the next meeting Wednesday 29th August 7.30pm

Venue: Buxton Medical Practice – EVERYONE WELCOME

--------------------------

Next Meeting 7.30pm Wednesday 27 June 12 at Buxton Medical Practice

-------------------------

BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP MEETING

Wednesday 30th May 2012

 

AGENDA

 

1.     INTRODUCTION AND WELCOME

 

2.     APOLOGIES

 

3.     RULES

 

4.     PREVIOUS MINUTES

 

5.     NEWSLETTER 1ST EDITION

Ø     TITLE

Ø     LAYOUT

Ø     LEAFLETS

Ø     POSTERS

 

6.     PPG ATTENDANCE AT THE PRODUCTIVE GP MEETING (20/6/12)

 

7.     AOB

 

 

 

BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP MEETING

Wednesday 29th February 2012

AGENDA

1.     INTRODUCTION AND WELCOME OF ANY OTHER PRACTICE PPG MEMBERS

2.     APOLOGIES

3.     RULES

4.     PREVIOUS MINUTES

5.     PATIENT SURVEY/ACTION PLAN

6.     NEWSLETTER

7.     NOTICEBOARD POSTERS

8.     AOB

Next Meeting: Wednesday 28th March 2012

Time: 7.30 pm

Venue:  Buxton Medical Practice

 

 

MEETING OF THE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP

HELD AT BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE

WEDNESDAY 25 JANUARY 2012

Present:         Adrian Brown              -           Chairman

                        Helen Smith                -           Vice Chairman

                        Trish Bothamley          -           Secretary

                        David Doig                  -           Practice Manager

                        Tom Miller                   -           GP

                        Linda Rolland              -           Committee Member

                        Yvonne Booth              -           Committee Member

                        Alan Masters               -           Committee Member

                        Sandra Masters          -           Committee Member

                        Carl Neblett                 -           Committee Member

                        Valerie Pearce            -           Committee Member

                        Diana Twigg                -           Committee Member

                        Jane McGrowther        -           Committee Member

 

Apologies: None

 

The meeting opened at 7.30.  Members introduced themselves and the previous minutes were deemed accurate and agreed.

 

It was agreed that the meetings would start and finish on time and the Agenda would be adhered too.

 

Matters Arising

 

The online booking system problem, being able to access it have been addressed.  David has put a message on the website which will inform patient’s when the system is down.

 

E-mail

 

Ann Sellers has updated any future new patient forms with a section to complete their e-mail addresses.

 

What Next

 

Contacting other PPG Groups in Buxton.  David has contacted Laurie Harding, Practice Manager at the Elmwood Medical Centre and Louise Chipp at Stewart Medical Centre.  David informed the meeting that he had had no reply from Elmwood to date however; Louise Chipp had said that she was willing to come and talk to our group.  Trish is going to contact both Stewart & Elmwood Practice Managers to try and arrange a visit from Louise and speak to Laurie regarding any information he may possibly be able to share with our group.

 

David thanked everyone who had participated in the distribution of the patient questionnaires and for their time and enthusiasm in helping patients to complete them.

 

Practice Patient Questionnaire

 

David expressed his and his colleague’s disappointment in the recent patient survey.  This had been the worst result to date and David is very keen to ensure that this is addressed and dealt with immediately.  The PPG were also shocked and disappointed with the result.  Several points were discussed:

 

·         Triage – It was felt that this word put some patients off and this had been noted previously and changed to “assessment” which again some patients did not like.  It was decided that maybe changing what is said to the patient would improve this service.  David was going to discuss this matter and maybe offer some changes to what is said to the patient without the use of the words “triage & assessment”.

 

·         Receptionists – This was also discussed that patients had complained about reception staff. David was going to take some ideas back to the staff and discuss ways to address this matter.  One method discussed was to ask staff to put a “smile in their” voice when on the phone and maybe smiling when greeting patients.  Another detail discussed was maybe the patient is told when they book in if they will be seen next or there are a couple of patients to be seen 1st.  Again David was going to look at this approach.

 

It was suggested that the group look at the survey result and e-mail David with any further ideas to be considered at the next meeting.

 

It was also felt that Patient Perception of the services may need to be updated, as to how the services available are organized for them, and how they are best accessed.

 

Communications was discussed and ideas put forward for Tips on how to best access services, Newsletters with articles like ‘a day in the life of ….’, using the TV to educate, advise on Telephone appointments, advise why Locums can be as good, if not better at times and more. Carl advised that he can produce A3 posters to help. We will look to brighten up the PPG notice boards as well.

 

Any Other Business

 

Could you please e-mail Trish at bsastarfire@aol.comfor any future items you would like to be included on the Agenda for the next meeting please?

 

Access to the building was discussed as it seems there are problems for wheelchair, prams, and people with poor mobility finding it hard to access the building trying to open doors etc.  David said this had been discussed previously and he was aware of the problem.  However, funding was the issue.  It may need relooking at.

 

Date of the next Meeting:  Wednesday 29th February 7.30 pm at Buxton Medical Practice

 

 

All patients are very welcome to attend the meeting to listen, comment or become a member of the group.

 

 

 

MEETING OF THE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP

HELD AT BUXTON MEDICAL PRACTICE

WEDNESDAY 30TH NOVEMBER 2011

 

Present:               Adrian Brown                   -              Chairman

                                Helen Smith                       -              Vice Chairman

                                Trish Bothamley             -              Secretary

                                David Doig                         -              Practice Manager

                                Charlotte Doig                  -              GP

                                Linda Rolland                   -              Committee Member

                                Yvonne Booth                  -              Committee Member

                                Alan Masters                     -              Committee Member

                                Sandra Masters                -              Committee Member

                                Carl Neblett                       -              Committee Member

                                Valerie Pearce                  -              Committee Member

                                Michael Connolly            -              Committee Member

                                Fiona Innes                        -              Committee Member

                                Julie Slack                           -              Committee Member

                                Diana Twigg                      -              Committee Member

 

The meeting opened at 7.30.  Members introduced themselves and the previous minutes were read and agreed.

 

The ground rules were read and it was agreed that the meetings would start and finish on time and the Agenda would be adhered too.

 

Previous Meeting Review

 

Notice Boards – These were ordered, had arrived and had been erected in two areas of the waiting room.  These will be updated on a regular basis. It was agreed a bit more colour would be welcome.

 

Online Booking System – Adrian informed the meeting that he had used the system and found it a very capable and excellent way of booking an appointment.  Trish also stated that of late she had used the system and had no problems with it.  It was however, pointed out that around 9.00 pm it was useless.  David explained that this was when the system back up was being updated.  David to put a message on the website to indicate this problem.

 

Telephone System – It was suggested a the last meeting that maybe it would be nice to be informed exactly where you were in the queue whilst waiting to make an appointment.  David explained that this was very costly (£4,500 - £10,000) other options were maybe to be connected straight through to the surgery and held in a queue.  It was thought being told to press 1, 2 3 etc was too frustrating.

Dr Hartley explained at the previous meeting that approximately 30% - 40% of patient’s have little or no contact with the surgery.  The website would probably be the best way of communication with this patient’s. On Discussion it was accepted that a percentage of these would also be able to access the information through their households.

 

Practice Survey – It was discussed how best to distribute the practice survey and decided that members be available for a morning and afternoon session Monday – Friday commencing on Monday 5th December 2011.  Sessions would be approximately 8.45 am – 11.30 am & 2.00 – 5.30 pm.  Approximately 30 – 40 questionnaires would need to be handed out per session.  It was agreed that members would introduce themselves and explain their role, and that we are a newly formed group to the patient’s and ask would they like to complete the questionnaire whilst waiting for their appointments.  This could be done prior to their appointment and maybe finished off following their appointment.  Patient’s would be offered an S.A.E if they wanted to take the survey away to complete at home.  Members would be available to help complete the survey if the patient so wished.  It was decided not to ask patients if they were here to see a GP or Nurse as this may be encroaching on patient confidentiality.  It was also decided not to approach any minors/teenagers unless they were with a parent who would be attending the consultation with the minor. We should explain that the form is anonymous and that it goes away for processing and that it was a good thing for the practice to enable them to know what the patient wants.

 

Carl suggested that maybe a poster advertising the questionnaire and when patients could expect to see it being distributed would be a good idea.  Carl also offered to help with any larger posters etc that we need.

 

David will clear the left hand of the reception desk to be used for the information and forms.

 

Patient Appointment Changes – At the last change to the appointment making system David informed the group that every patient household received a letter explaining the changes to the appointments system.  It was also displayed in the surgery and in the newspaper to enable as patients as possible to be notified.  However, as all patients do not use the surgery on a regular basis many patients said they did not know of the changes. 

 

The PPG will be a vital part of any forthcoming changes as we can participate in the change liaison with patients and feedback.  Patient appointments system may be looked at again following some market research.

 

Communication – E-mail is a very good way of communicating and it was agreed that a space for e-mail would be included on any new patient forms/change of address forms.  David to ask Ann Sellors if this is possible.

 

Newsletter – The Practice Newsletter was now up and running and it was decided that it would be a quarterly newsletter.  Any suggestions for inclusion would be very welcome.

 

Any Other Business

 

What Next – It is hoped that replies from surveys would be complete in about 6 week’s time.  It was decided that possible contact with other PPG’s in Buxton would be a good idea David will liaise with other GP surgeries get information and feedback to us.

 

Questionnaire Time Table:

 

Commencing Monday 5th December 2011

 

 

DAY

AM

PM

 

MONDAY

Val  & Linda

Alan & Sandra

TUESDAY

Adrian & Helen

Yvonne

WEDNESDAY

Linda

Helen

THIURSDAY

Adrian

Helen

FRIDAY

 

Helen

 

 

Clipboards, pens and S.A.E. will be available along with an area set aside for the distributing of the questionnaire’s.

 

Carl will be available on Monday 12th December of needed to hand out questionnaires.

 

 

 

Date of the next Meeting:  Wednesday 25th January 7.30 pm at Buxton Medical Practice

 

 

All patients are very welcome to attend the meeting to listen, comment or become a member of the group.

 

 

 

Patient Participation Group Meeting

Wed 02 November 2011

 

Agenda

 

Introductions:

 

Rules

Go over the rules again to make sure still ok.

 

Tasks

  • Telephone System – what do you want from it?
  • Prescriptions online.

 

Practice Survey

  • Run through the forms
  • Days / Volunteers to hand out and help with filling in.

 

Communicating with the Patient Population

  • How best done.

 

AOB

 

Next Meeting

 

Day: 30 November 2011

Times: 7.30pm

Place: Buxton Medical Practice

 

 

Patient Participation Group 

 

Meeting 28 September 2011 Minutes

 

Attended: Fiona Innes, Judith Slack, Carl Nesbitt, Helen Smith, Linda Rolland, Linda Harry, John Harry, Adrian Brown, Yvonne Booth, Trish Bothamley, Tom Miller, David Doig,

Apologies: Dianne Twigg

David Doig Chaired the meeting

 

After a welcome coffee and introductions where each member explained a bit about there experiences and how they feel they can do to help the Practice. All have a variety of interests and skills that will be very useful within the Practice Population.

 

Contact emails were given for the group so far.

 

Practice Survey– David copied last years Practice survey and results for the group to study.

 

Though it was felt that the survey could be simplified to make it easier for patients to fill in it was felt that we would run this survey again this year to keep continuity of results which have been collected over the last 6 years.

 

The PPG volunteered to hand out the survey forms and help to explain to patients what is required and why it is important that we receive back the results.

 

The Practice will send the results off (anonymous, without the envelopes being opened.) to be analysed and results produced. When the results are received they will be presented to the group to set priorities for the Practice to act on for the forth coming year.

 

Actions:

David Doig to order the survey

David contact PPG for available dates when the Survey arrives.

David to organise PPG Badges for all volunteers

 

Committee:- We asked for volunteers for the posts of Chairperson, Vice Chair and Secretary. These to be agreed initially for the first 3 months with an option to either drop out or continue at that time.

Chair – Adrian Brown

Vice Chair – Helen Smith

Secretary – Shared between Trish Bothamley and David Doig

 

Communications – It was decided to have 2 notice boards, one at either end of the waiting room for the PPG notices. DD is to collect pictures of each member to make a border for the boards so that people can recognise their representatives.

 

We will look into various other ways to communicate with the patient population as we go on.

 

Actions:

David to organise 2 boards

Trish to draft a couple of posters for the board

 

Booking in System: - David explained that there was an incompatibility issue with the booking in machine and the central server that runs the medical software. We are trying to get it resolved.

This brought up some issues that people believed they had to use the machine when it was working. However, it was explained that this was just an option to allow patients to miss out the queue and to use when it suits them. There is and will always be the option to speak to a real person.

 

Online Booking: - a number of people mentioned having problems booking an appointment on line. This may be due to the backing up of the system, David to ask Ann Sellors IT manager to investigate.

[Note, there could be an issue between 10pm and 11pm because of the system back up. We have tried to get them to move this later but so far to no avail. We will keep trying]

Next Meeting: - It was agreed to run the meeting on the last Wednesday of every month at 7pm here at Buxton Medical Practice.

However the next meeting will be 7.30pm Wed. 2 November 2011 at the Practice (due to ½ term)

All patients are welcome to attend either just to listen and comment or to join as a member.

 

 

1st Meeting 21 September 2011 Minutes

 

Attended by 10 patients, Drs Hartley, Doig, Haddon and Miller and David Doig Practice Manager

 

David Chaired the meeting (though future meetings will be chaired by the Patient Group themselves)

 

After a welcome coffee and introductions David Presented some details about the Practice and what a Patient Participation Group is supposed to be.

 

PPG Presentation

 

Afterwards there was a discussion about the best way forward. Important areas were felt to be

 

  •  Communications with the whole Practice population, how do we access everyone from the young (facebook, twitter, etc) to the Elderley (couch participation, reply forms, etc)
  • Supporting the Practice Surveys and investigating solutions from the feedback
  • A place for patients to voice there concerns when they may not be happy to do it direct with the Practice
  • Other areas for the future could be fund raising and patient information sessions, but this can be investigate at a future date.

 

The Practice emphasised that they would like the group to be run by the group and to take on as much or as little responsibility as it felt right for them at the time. The Practice would provide admin support and a place to meet if it is felt okay.

 

The rules of the group were agreed as per the ground rules and terms of reference

 

PPG Ground Rules

 

Next Meeting: 7.30pm Wednesday 28 September 2011 at the Practice

 

we will be looking at

  • getting to know each other.
  • Expressions of interest in Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and possibly Treasurer.
  • the Practice Survey set up for 2011.
  • Future Action plan

 

All patients are welcome to attend either jsut to listen and comment or to join as a member.

 

Invite Letter

 

The Partners and Staff at Buxton Medical Practice value your input into how we can improve our services for you, the patients. One way that this can be successful is through the use of Patient Participation Groups.

 

What is a Patient Participation Group PPG?

 

PPGs tend to be set up by their Practice but, over time, they are normally run by the patients. Typically, they will have a committee that meets regularily to give the group some leadership and a sense of direction. The PPG should work closely with the Practice and it is quite normal for practice staff, including GPs, to be part of the group.

 

PPGs are not set up to be a ‘forum for moaners’ but nor are they ‘doctors fan clubs’. They are a route for patients to advise the Practice on what matters most to patients and to identify solutions to problems. Members of the PPG should think about the wider interests of patients and not just their own personal concerns when serving the PPG.

 

Every PPG should be clear about what it is there to achieve. It should have well thought out objectives so that, if someone asks what the group does, there is a clear answer. These goals need to be realistic because the PPG is run by volunteers. In many cases, the PPG will work in partnership with the Practice and other partners and, in that way, it can achieve a great deal more.

 

What do Groups do?

 

As a guide tasks include

 

  • Improving communications by producing newsletters or leaflets that provide patients with information about their health and how to access services.
  • Organising health promotion events, together with the Practice, so that patients can have a really good understanding of their health and how best to look after it.
  • Acting as a ‘critical friend’ to the Practice, helping it to understand what patients think about some of the issues such as accessing the practice, appointments, available services, etc.
  • Helping to fill some of the gaps in the services by signposting patients to available support or providing services such as patient libraries, volunteer transport, befriending and support services.
  • Fundraising to support the work of the PPG and to improve care that is available in the surgery.
  • Influencing the services that are provided and where they are provided, by taking part in what are called commissioning decisions: this means that services can be developed in the way that is best for patients.
  • Carry out research to find out what matters to patients and discussing the findings with the Practice..

 

 

Getting Involved

 

To some people this may seem rather daunting, but rest assured that PPGs across the country, run by patients, are doing these things and making a real difference. Choose the level of involvement that suits you best, whether as a committee member or just helping out once in a while. It is all voluntary and every contribution is valued.

 

First Meeting

 

We at Buxton Medical Practice would like to help set up a Patient Participation Group for the Practice, and as such would like to hold the first meeting as below

 

Venue: Buxton Medical Practice

Time:    7.30pm

Date:    Wednesday 21 September 2011

 

At this meeting we will look to

  • To set some terms of reference (rules as to how the meetings / group will work), including the size of the group , the composition of the group, when and where it will meet, what areas of work the group will be involved in, etc.
  • Look at ways to communicate to the patient population and how to gain their voice on subjects. Face to face, newsletters, electronic (emails, website, forums), surveys, presentations, etc.
  • Some tasks to consider for future meetings.

 

Practice staff will be there to help to set up the PPG but it is expected that the PPG members will take over the co-ordination and running of the group as soon as they feel able.

 

Please indicate on the tear off slip below whether you will be able to attend this meeting and whether you would like to be added to our email list for future contacts ref. the group.

 

Best Regards

David Doig, Practice Manager

………………………………………………………………………………………

I am a patient at Buxton Medical Practice and

 

I would like to attend the PPG meeting at 7.30pm Wednesday 21 September 2011                                                                                                       yes q      No q

 

I would like to be contact with information about the Practice and the PPG by email

Yes q     No  q

 

Name:  ………………………………            Date of Birth: …………………

 

Email address : ………………………………

 

 

Signature: ………………………………..      Date: …………………………………

 
Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website